How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
As an Aquatics Director, you will oversee aquatic programs at the Hays Communities Branch and Camp Moody. You play a critical role in ensuring aquatic staff is successful in delivering a high-quality program experience to all members and program participants, by coaching and ongoing training. You will manage current programs, develop, and implement new program strategies to successfully meet department and org-wide targets. This is a full-time role, based out of the Hays Communities YMCA Branch and Camp Moody. Full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus employer-matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
What are the details?
- Create a positive and motivational environment for all staff
- Serve as a Cause Driven Leader on Duty and/or Director on Duty according to branch schedule, and complete CDL report
- Provide leadership and coaching to department team as well as all branch teams
- Ensure program quality is of the highest regard for all department programs
- Use data-based decision making for program decisions
- Lead monthly lifeguard in-service meetings
- Representative to Impact Team for Aquatics
- Respond to all member and community inquiries in a timely manner.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to ensure regular exposure to members and staff at all times throughout the week, including early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends
Program and Administrative Support
- Create and schedule swim lessons, leagues, and other aquatic programs
- Ensure aquatics information is complete and up to date in the member services system (Daxko), website, and mobile app at all times.
- Communicate all aquatic-related programming and events via social media, online, and through all intra-branch and inter-branch methods available.
- Organize and schedule aquatic program registrations
- Liaison for Project SAFE and other youth development and grant-funded programs
- Compiles monthly program statistics to monitor participation and impact
- Recruit, train, develop, support, and directly supervise program staff and volunteers
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Conduct annual performance appraisals at least once a year, as well as staff appreciation/recognition, coaching, and progressive discipline when necessary
- Monitor and update all required staff certifications, scheduling, and facility needs
- Develop performance standards with full-time direct staff reports that include a training plan and other development opportunities
- Ensure staff is well informed and connected to the larger branch and the strategic plan for the Association
- Audit staff to ensure staff readiness and lifeguard vigilance
- Conduct necessary training’s for aquatics staff (lifeguard, swim instructors, etc.)
- Work with branch director team to offer CPR/First Aid/O2 training for branch staff
- Develop, implement, and monitor annual Aquatics budget
- Track, monitor, and adjust resources to meet financial goals
- Review and certify the accuracy of department payroll
- Track and monitor Aquatics registration fees and sessions scheduled
Facilities / Risk Management
- Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations
- Conduct and ensure proper maintenance of pools including accurate recordkeeping of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Perform lifeguard and swim instructor duties as required.
- Conduct monthly risk-management audits and facility inspections.
- Develop and implement an ongoing equipment preventative maintenance program.
Works with Executive Directors and other Program Directors to provide risk management drills for all staff and recommend procedural changes to ensure the safety of all staff, members, guests, and participants.
Complete other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the purpose:
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree in recreation management, youth programming, human services, non-profit or equivalent is preferred. You have at least three years of management and/or leadership experience in an aquatic setting. You have a Lifeguard Certification and CPR/FA Certification. CPO Certification is a plus.
Leadership: This position requires a demonstrated history of leadership in the areas of volunteer and staff development, budget and fiscal management, financial development, community development, and strategic planning.
Communicator: You listen for understanding and meaning; speak and write effectively and can effectively tailor your communication to the appropriate audience.
Influencer: You employ strategies that engage, inspire, and build commitment and achieve the overall Y goals.
Organized and Productive: You establish clear goals and effectively implement tasks and plans to accomplish them in a timely manner.
Innovative: You embrace new approaches and creative thinking to assess and implement effective processes related to employee, operational, and organizational performance.
Growth Mindset: You quickly learn from failure and value feedback in the effort to continuously improve the organization’s functional capacity.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.