VELA Bilingual Program Director, Full time Position
When told that your child has a disability, your life changes. Acronym-filled paperwork, doctors, therapy sessions, and special education meetings become your new normal. Research shows parent involvement to be the greatest indicator of positive outcomes for children with disabilities, yet parents report feelings of powerlessness when navigating doctors, therapies and special education for their child. This is where VELA steps in- we partner with families and provide knowledge, empowerment, resilience and community. Through our courses and wraparound services, parents learn how to support their child’s strengths and needs, navigate medical and special education services, connect to community resources and become their child’s greatest expert. In the last ten years, VELA has grown from a 100% volunteer-run agency to having 9 staff, a strategic board, and a community of volunteers that serves over 1,800 families annually. VELA is values-driven, innovative and intentional and we love what we do.
Full-Time Employee, 40 hours per week
We are seeking a highly organized and values-driven individual to support the growth of VELA’s programming. The Program Director will lead and manage VELA’s virtual and in person programming for families, develop and implement a comprehensive outreach plan to increase referrals and partnerships, and launch a Parent Ambassador Program for VELA graduates. This position will unlock our ability to expand our reach and serve more families. The anticipated start date for this position is March 21, 2022.
- Manage and oversee all VELA programming for families of children with disabilities at our location and virtually including delivery of courses, support groups, family fun days, workshops and case management services
- Manage direct service program staff including program coordinator, parent facilitators, clinical social worker and child care provider providing support and feedback through regular 1×1 meetings and annual performance reviews
- Manage program budgets and resource allocation
- Assist in compilation, analysis, and reporting of program outcomes and outputs for accurate and timely reporting of data and impact
Outreach and Partnership Building
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and measurable outreach and recruitment plan to increase enrollment in programming by 30%.
- Launch and manage Parent Ambassador program to engage VELA’s graduates in outreach and ongoing leadership development
- Represent VELA in the community across meetings with partners, funders, program participants and volunteers
- Provide presentations to small and large groups throughout the community about VELA’s programming and impact to secure new partnerships, funders and/or sponsors
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop, coordinate and manage partnerships and contracts with schools and healthcare providers.
- Secure new healthcare or educational partners interested in VELA’s programming through fee for service contracts within the first year
- Project management rock star: Deconstructs projects into concrete actions, objectives and deliverables resulting in measurable and proven successes. Highly-organized with a demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines and complete excellent work with minimal supervision.
- Respected manager: Creates an environment where staff can grow, lead, feel supported and inspired to excel.
- Relationship-driven: Builds strong relationships and adjusts to how individuals, organizations and cultures function and react; has the ability to sense how others are feeling and is able to easily establish and deepen relationships. High emotional intelligence.
- Values-driven: Shares organizational values, including a passion for social justice and equity.
- Diversity-oriented; Experience working with diverse groups, including the disability community.
- Effective communicator: Able to deliver clear and effective messaging both internally and externally in verbal and written forms. Experience and ease creating and delivering presentations.
- Tech-savvy: Fast learner and experience with Zoom, Google Drive, Microsoft Suite, WordPress, Mailchimp preferred.
- Proven ability to work remotely.
- Experience with the disability sector, specifically the Special Education system, preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish/English required
- A four-year degree in a related field
- A minimum of 3-4 years’ experience in a related position within the nonprofit sector
- Have a valid driver’s license and have and maintain current auto liability insurance
Compensation and Hours
This is a full time salaried position. Salary ranges from $49,000-$52,000 annually depending on experience. Benefits include an additional $300/month healthcare stipend, three weeks of paid time off and flexible working hours. The majority of work is to be completed M-F 9-5pm while keeping a hybrid in office and remote work schedule. VELA observes 10 agency-wide federal holidays as well as a holiday break from Dec 23rd-Jan 1st.
Please submit a resume and 3 professional references to email@example.com with the subject line: VELA Program Director. No phone calls please.